Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Square Foot Garden

After reading a few books, talking with friends, and feeling like I had put it off long enough, I decided that this was the year to start a garden. I decided to go with the All-New Square Foot Gardening method due to the plan that is so easy to execute. The book was a great read and I learned so much, now we just have to put it into practice and pray our crops grow. My boxes are bigger than Mr. Mel recommends, but I had the space for it.

My brother-in-law, Josh, made the beautiful boxes out of the cedar that he cut and planed himself. They smell so good and look so pretty.


Jeremy and I mixed up my Mel's Mix dirt and put it in. I got the grids cut to size and installed them. The longest task was making these chicken wire cages, but all of my neighbors with gardens said we would have to do something to keep out the animals.




Mel suggests soaking plants and seeds before planting them and also leaving sun-warmed water out for watering. So that's what I did.


I know it is a little early but I planted some flower seeds, cilantro, strawberries, and banana peppers.


You can't see it in these pictures, but we also have started a compost pile behind the well. I feel like I need to take a class on composting to make sure I am doing it right.

I can't wait to see what we produce!

6 comments:

  1. That is so exciting! I have a square foot gardening book to! We just haven't lived anywhere long enough to justify doing it! I would love to one day for sure. Can't wait to see your garden grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we ate the first strawberry today and it was so sweet and delicious. there a lot of options in his book for smaller/portable type gardens. maybe something like that would work for you guys.

      Delete
  2. Great job! Can't wait to come see it. I'd also like to try composting, but don't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i bought one of the plastic things at Lowe's because I didn't want it to look like a trash pile, but I don't think this is the quickest way to compost because I haven't figured out the best way to mix it up. I'm throwing in grass clippings, limbs, leaves, fruit, veggies, bread, egg shells, etc.

      Delete
  3. looks great! we did ours this weekend, too- I haven't been up on the reading though! I'm hoping daddy's experience will help us along the way!! I might have to borrow some cilantro, since we aren't doing any herbs! Yay for spring planting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool!! We have had good luck in past years with jalapenos, zucchini, and cucumbers. I tried cilantro but I didn't keep up with it as much as I should and it turned to coriander.. oops!

    ReplyDelete